Opinions of Warren D. Smith
Mini-studies and essays
in which our hero often finds himself puncturing
the "conventional wisdom," usually supporting
himself with lots of facts, figures, and math at every turn (although
no math beyond the ability to multiply, is needed). One might say
"gleefully" puncturing the conventional wisdom, except that
in many cases the stupidity being attacked is so serious,
and the area being considered is so important to us all, that it is difficult
to generate much glee about the present massively
screwed-up state of affairs.
In some other cases I present some apparently new ideas about some important
issues, such as my "easy win-win" proposals
for eliminating inflation and reforming
the screwed-up voting system.
- How voting should be done
- Wages, Gold standard, and preventing Inflation
- The tragedy of the common - there are some things
pure capitalism cannot do
- Economics and Growth
- Using up Energy Resources, the End of Civilization, and Breeder Reactors
- High level languages and machine primitives - the pathetic
- (Not written yet) What High Level Languages ought to be doing
- Science Boondoggle #1 - why fusion energy won't work
- Science Boondoggle #2 - star wars is stupid
- Science Boondoggle #3 - sending people to Mars is stupid
- Science Boondoggle #4 - quantum and other crypto
- Dangerous economist-myths about world population explosion and resource crunches
- Can solar supply world energy needs?
- Communicating with space aliens - SETI - should you care?
- Science's journal and conference system - a joke
that got old
- (Not written yet) The insanity of the Patent, Copyright, & Software worlds
- Analysis of "Technology Reviews's 5 best patents in 2000" - why moronic
- (Not written yet) "Nanotechnology"
- Israel: the premier hypocrite nation
- Lucky breaks determine human history?
- Electronic Voting - good or bad idea?
- WTC bombing - who did it and what should the response be?
- What happens when you scale up 1 maniac
- Wars & counter-terror killings = worse than terrorism, data table
- US-sponsored and US terrorism thru history
- Bush's executive order to create secret tribunals
- A statement by Richard Stallman about civil liberties
- Arsenic in drinking water - were Bush & Whitman right?"
- A simple calculation about world population"a
- Legalize drugs? What is right decision?
- Afghanistan war: facts and conclusions
(also: should we require strong cockpit doors on airliners)?
- Banning smoking in bars - what is